A 10-month undercover investigation has exposed "extreme cannibalism and cruelty" at a Lincolnshire pig farm supplying Britain's major supermarkets. The footage from Somerby Top Farm reveals harrowing scenes of prolonged animal suffering at a facility owned by Cranswick Country Foods, the UK's largest pork producer.
Animal Justice Project (AJP) documented attacks where piglets were mauled for 33 and 46 hours respectively before dying without intervention. The investigation, conducted between May 2024 and January 2025, captured workers beating, kicking and striking pigs with boards and paddles, including blows to faces, eyes and genitals.
Welfare standards questioned
The farm held Red Tractor certification, designed to guarantee welfare standards. According to the Yorkshire Post, the abuse occurred just after a Red Tractor audit, raising serious questions about the effectiveness of inspection processes.
Veterinarian Dr Alice Brough, who reviewed the footage, called the violence "deeply concerning". She said Cranswick's claims of high welfare were "utterly incompatible with what we see here".
Previous violations emerge
This marks the second major investigation into Cranswick facilities in recent years. Last year, AJP exposed similar abuse at the company's Northmoor Farm breeding unit, where piglets were filmed being slammed onto concrete.
AJP director Claire Palmer said: "This is the worst cannibalism we have ever documented. Pigs were literally eaten alive… the result of boredom, overcrowding, and despair."
Company response and reforms
A Cranswick spokesman apologised for the "lapse in our standards" and said: "The health and welfare of our pigs is our highest priority." The company has replaced management teams, recruited five full-time welfare officers and begun installing AI-enabled CCTV across its farms following the earlier Northmoor investigation.
Red Tractor confirmed the farm's certification had been suspended pending investigation. The Yorkshire Post reports the investigation was conducted in partnership with the Mail on Sunday, adding mainstream media scrutiny to the welfare concerns.
Supermarket action
Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda and Morrisons all condemned the abuse and immediately suspended supplies from the farm. The swift response highlights the reputational risks facing major retailers when welfare standards fail in their supply chains.
Palmer called for "an independent, public inquiry into the UK pig industry", arguing the public "should be appalled" by the systematic nature of the abuse documented.
Sources used: "morningstaronline.co.uk", "Yorkshire Post" Note: This article has been edited with the help of Artificial Intelligence.